Friday, February 10, 2012

What I LOVE.

Since this is indeed the month of LOVE I decided to tell, and of course show you all a few of the things that I am absolutely loving in Kapsowar right now!

LOVE that I FINALLY kicked the Ecoli and the Ameba to the curb! You have NO idea how liberating it is to feel good all day for once! (However, but as luck would have it... after 4 weeks of on again off again relapses of pure illness I finally got so sick that I went to OPD (Out Patient Department) to see Dr. Mike about putting me on the strongest stuff they had. Well, low and behold the patient that had JUST come in to see Dr. Mike DIED... On the table 5 minutes before I got there! This NEVER happens in Outpatient. EVER. They are mainly just going for check-ups, but of course my luck it happened to me... and frankly I was too sick to care. When the morgue finally came (again we are on Kenyan time not American time) they couldn't get the bed into the room... so... they had to mummy her up and have 3 people pick her and put her on the bed. Dr. Mike was like "Now Julie is this going to spook you at all?" Answer: "No." Because I could hardly see straight. The only sad thing for me was that she still had her black, dirty, biscuit tennis shoes on (that they all where). Nyways the nurse "cleaned" the bed (they don't clean like we do) and then I saw the doc, got my meds, got Mercy to clean every article of clothing I had on, showered and went right back to bed!)

 LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. The help. Beside me is Mercy. She does EVERYTHING from hand washing our clothes, washing our dishes, mopping/sweeping the floor, clean the bathrooms, etc. You name it she does it! Beside her is Edna. She works for 3 other families here. She is a wonder woman and an amazing cook! No one is better than Edna!!
 LOVE that there are literally 5 different types of mangos here, and they are all just as sweet as the next!
LOVE that I ate every single one of these!
 LOVE seeing Africans who still practice in tradition. The Pokot tribe being one of them. Her daughter was sick for over 2 weeks with high fever and seizers. She never moved. One reason Pokot still practices in tradition is because they are not educated. The majority of the Pokot children do not attend school because they cannot afford to pay their school fees. Pokot is also a warring tribe. For years and years they fought with other members of the Callengen sub-tribes (Pokot is a sub-tribe to the Callengens) because they believed they should be the only tribe with cows. Milk cows are equivalent to gold here. They are your bank. If you steal someones cow, you will be killed. (Literally.)  
 LOVE seeing such beautiful flowers covering whole trees in the midst of this dry dry dry season.
LOVE me some Hilda. (One of the Medical Interns)
  LOVE that this little boy is still smiling and laughing every time I see him even though he's been bed ridden for a month.
LOVE how many people and things Matatu's can shove in a small vehicle for a "dolla dolla bill" 
LOVE fresh close line dried clothes
LOVE my new "mom" for the next 3 months, Momma Michal. She has the sweetest heart!
LOVE my Zeke! Because life would be so boring with out him!!!
These are just a few of the things that LOVE right now in the month all about LOVE.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE that you finally have internet and can blog {and talk}!! And you ate ALL those mangoes?!? No wonder..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I LOVE reading your blog! It is the highlight of my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love reading about you!!! just catching up and sounds like this is an amazing journey for you. joe wants to know when ms julie is coming back??

    ReplyDelete