Monday, January 30, 2012

Theatre

By the end of last week I felt okay of enough to go into the O.R. or Theatre as they call it. Did I have so much fun or what! Some cases were touch and go - my kind of cases by the way- any thing with a little bit of drama, and I'm totally there! The people who work in surgery are so much fun to be around as well. I will tell you, there is never a dull moment.
This is a lady prego with twins, and Thomas the anesthetist is giving her a spinal. She never flinched.
(The women here have pain tolerances that you and I have never seen!)
This is Dan and Pricilla. They are married and currently waiting on their visas to go to Angola. Pricilla is teaching Dan (an E.R. physician) how to do C-Sections, because when they get to Angola he will have to do them as well. (It's rather hilarious listening/watching her teach him, but they are so awesome and so much fun!)
That would be Peter one of the scrub nurses behind me. 
This is Lewene (I think thats how you spell his name... Im horrid at spelling. Always have been, but its pronounced lay-win-ay) He is the only other anesthetist here besides Thomas, and has only been here 3-4 months... meaning Thomas has been the only anesthetist since Bill and Laura moved out here. He is crazy good. Crazy good as in better than most in the states, and is Vanderbilt trained at Kajbe hospital. (Both are actually.)
Me telling the mom she has 2 twin girls!
Holding the baby girlies for the first time.  
About to show the momma her baby girls!
This is a baby with a deformed forearm and face. When Bill looked at the x-ray he didn't think he saw a radius... but it could have just been a bad shot... We will see him back in a week. (If the mom shows up.)
And yes. THAT IS A THYROID. Holy Hannah is right. When Bill and Cess took it out, it was the size of and looked just like a heart. No joke. I have the picture to prove it, but I will spare the stomachs of all the weaklings out there! : )
ANNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD........
Last and certainly not least... Here are some of the cute furry friends that hang out around the hospital...
I think I'll call them... "The Trash Can Bandits."

3 comments:

  1. Definitely just cried seeing you hold those beautiful babies. Wow Jules what an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a wonderful experience! Such an absolute HIGH!! The baby at the end with the deformed arm will probably be referred to Bethany Kids. Thought you might would want to know that!!

      Delete
  2. Amazing Julie!! You are so precious with those babies. Very first thing I saw when we got to Kapsawar was an emergency C-Section (1st surgery I'd ever seen). Still one of the most amazing things I've witnessed!

    ReplyDelete