Thursday, January 5, 2012

Playing Catch Up. Already...

So I finally made it to Nairobi! I cannot even begin to tell you how HAPPY I was to breathe fresh air, and to see one of my best friends Gray who has been working in Thika with Bethany Kids for the past 4 months!
Gray and I today at Amani ya Juu.
This is by far my most favorite place in Nairobi so far! They have the most amazing salads and the most amazing stuff. You can read about their ministry here: http://www.amaniafrica.org/ Please do. So worth it!
Best salad EVER!

But let me back up, and tell you just how cool God is about me going to Africa. On the outside I was pretty tough, but on the inside I wasn't. Mainly because I didn't know a SOUL, and also my parents had  mortified me for life that someone was going to steal all my stuff or me for that matter while traveling.. well no one did... Everywhere is so very safe. But let me just tell you everything God has done since I arrived to the airport. Kinda a lot of words, but they are oh so good.
Here I am with 200lbs of stuff.

Ok this won't be boring because let's be honest, when am I ever? HAHA!! : )
  1. Out of all the people who could have checked me into my flight in Atlanta, mine was from Africa.
  2. As I am about to board my plane in Atlanta I meet guy who is a 4th yr resident somewhere in Florida, and is going to Tenwick for a month. (Tenwick is a really good and well known hospital in Kenya, and several of the doctors in my dad's Orthopaedic practice have all gone here.) Ok and then get this we were on the SAME ROW! So here I was freaking out, emotional, you NAME IT I WAS IT, and then in 2 minutes I was laughing and smiling at God because I KNEW then just how small I was and how BIG He is.   Oh and the fun didn't stop there!
  3. Originally I wasn't supposed to have someone sitting next me, it was supposed to be an empty seat and then someone else. WRONG. My happiness turned into madness bc I then had NO ROOM to do jack! But get this- the girl next to me on the plane knows Zeke Rhodes. (Bill and Laura's oldest son) They both worked for Samaritans purse together in Haiti, she has traveled ALL over the world, lives in Africa the whole nine yards. -I then begin to cry on the plane in front of this girl! Im sure she thought I was a lunatic, but those tears just kept on coming, because that meant I had a friend to spend 8 hours with in Amsterdam, who new everything, and gave me such good advice. 
  4. On my flight to Nairobi, I met up with the resident again from Florida... I think his name is Nolan so let's just stick with that. Turns out he went to school at Colorado State and Medical School at Georgetown... and well I don't, but family does have something in common with him... but does Ironman's and triatholons. HE WAS NORMAL! 
  5. Flight to Nairobi- I sat next to the most inquisitive man from Malawi who wanted to know everything about America etc... because here's the deal, anyone from America is Amazing. He though Madonna was a christian bc she helps out their continent a lot. (Needless to say I informed him that just because someone helps you, does't mean he or she is a christian or even a "good" person) He was so blown away all African's are by that. They think ALL American's are good, but  he was such an awesome guy and hopes to run for president in Malawi in 2014. He told me he'd give me a call then... haha! I tell ya what... Do I know how to make some connections or what?!
  6. All my bags arrived and Gray was standing front and center waiting for me at pick up with a huge hug! Oh it was the best hug I have had in such a long while!
  7. I get here and EVERYONE  knows Bill and Laura Rhodes. (Like they are famous) And when I mean everyone, I mean I say to a rando I am going to Kapsowar to stay with Bill and Laura Rhodes their faces light up bigger than Dallas. It so neat and comforting.

From flight miscommunication to Eldoeret, to having to extend my stay at the Mayfield guest house till Sunday, and Gray taking off work the rest of the week to be with me... was all nothing short of a coincidence. Gray and I have met the most incredible people. Especially our friend Stephanie who has friends who are really close to Bill and Laura, she has worked at  Tenwick and, worked in the hospital in Kijabe where Gray is a lot of the time. She is a peds doctor working to get her neonatology degree. She is 31 years old, beautiful, normal, happy, loves the Lord, and single! This has been such an eye opener and also a breath of fresh for Gray and I, because sometimes we feel that if we aren't married or have a man or kids by a certain age our lives are doomed forever. But meeting NORMAL and yes I do capitalize NORMAL women who in our eyes do have it all and are content... makes trusting in God that He will provide someone for us on His timing so much sweeter! 
I pray all of this makes sense and I didn't lose anyone. I have literally gone from 0-100mph since getting here and I wish I could share it ALL, but who wants to read even MORE words?? HA NOT ME!! Hopefully now that I could catch you all up... I will be able to entertain you more with pictures etc... I've just been too tired to take very many, and Nairobi really isn't very pretty... but I hear Kapsowar is absolutely breathtaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment