Wednesday, January 25, 2012

HOME of CHAMPIONS


Iten. Training center to most of the olympic running teams, and also home to numerous Kenyan Olympic Gold Meddle winners. Its a rather cool BALLIN place if you ask me. Lots of Europeans come here to back pack throughout the rift valley, hang glide, parachute, and so on. But shooooot... I like going to check out all the (white MALE) runners in their rather short shorts! Ok, ok weird I know, BUT you have to remember that I am in Kapsowar, and men are ONLY allowed to wear shorts during athletic activities, (running) but your shirt must remain on. Girls are NEVER allowed to wear shorts in Kapsowar, but because Iten is a more touristy area, and there are more white people doing athletic activities- running/ hiking/etc... short shorts and running without a shirt are considered not slutty and appropriate AS LONG AS YOUR EXERCISING! But anyways... back to the men in shorts! Just Kidding! Its cool driving down road at ANY time of the day dusk or dawn, and you will see several of them running around like its no big thing. To have those LUNGS, legs, and abs I tell ya! (legs and abs of the girls of course!) Nyways here are some pictures of our day trip...
Runners Point is where all the runners take there used running gear (shorts, pants, NICE shoes, jackets, shirts.) I bought a SUPER nice jacket for 450 schillings (about $4.50 U.S. Dollars) and that blue shirt flying in the wind BECAUSE it is a Birmingham, Al. Mercedes-Benz half marathon running shirt from 2011! (That race happened to be my older sister Jill's very first half marathon race, and it had ALABAMA ON IT!! WHAT THE!?! What were the odds of that?! The owner tried to make me pay 450 schillings for it... Um oh no sir... I argued heavily till I got it for 300 schillings. It went a little something like this:
Me: How much?
Owner: Mmm 450 schillings.
Me: What!?! HECK NO! (literally) I am NOT paying the same price for a nice hooded jacket as I am for a SHIRT. YOU ARE INSANE.
Owner: (chuckles and smiles) Fine. 400 schillings. 
Me: NO. This is MY HOME STATE! I am not paying that much for this USED SHIRT. Stop trying to rip me off. Ill will give you 300 schillings.
Owner: Exactly it's your home state you shouldn't care how much it cost. 350 schillings.
Me: Yes I should! No. 300 schillings. Take it or leave it because Im buying this shirt for my sister. So it's 300 schillings or its free. : ) (I handed him the 750schillings) and said Im taking this shirt for 300 schillings because we both know it's not worth 450 or 350 schillings.
Owner: Okay okay okay I know fine. 
Me: : ) Thanks! 
So yeah. Clearly won that battle. duh. I'm short, sassy, and a ginger. So whatever.
Ate a scrumptious lunch at the Rift Valley Lodge fit for westerners
while looking at this insane view over the rift valley... the pics don't even do it justice!
 Looking straight down
 Enjoy the view!

No comments:

Post a Comment